William Desborough was born in Wymington in 1864 the son of William and Rebecca.  By 1881the family had moved to Succoth Place, Rushden and both William junior and his father were working as shoe finishers.  The family moved to Alfred Street and William senior was working as a thatcher’s labourer and William junior as a sugar boiler.

Alfred Street, Rushden

William junior attended Sunday School and in 1882 received a letter from his friend and Sunday School teacher, Samuel Knight.  Samuel was a builder and lived in Cambridge Cottages in Newton Road.  Several generations of the Knight family were involved with the Old Baptist Church so maybe that’s where William attended Sunday School.

The letter from Sameul Knight to William Desborough

Cambridge Cottages on the right of the picture

In 1887 William established his business as a sugar boiler and confectioner in premises in George Street behind High Street. By 1891 he had opened a shop at 38 High Street.  This shop and the one next door, which was also owned by William, was destroyed by the devastating fire in July 1901 when the factory of Messrs. John Cave and Sons, which stood on the opposite side of High Street, caught fire.  The fire started around lunch time and by 1.45pm the whole of the rear of the factory was in flames.  The firemen were quickly on the scene but there was little water available.  Sywell reservoir was not opened until 1906 so there was only the town water supply.  The fire spread rapidly and although the thatch on the buildings opposite was hosed they caught fire and were destroyed. 

A letterhead from William Desborough’s business

High Street after the fire of July 1901

The end wall of William’s shop next to Succoth Chapel

William rebuilt the two shops, numbers 38 and 40 High Street, number 40 being let to Mr. Everingham.  He also owned other properties including numbers 12 and 14 in Rectory Road, number 14 being let to Mr. Chamberlain at £17 per year.

The boards on the left of the picture after the factory had been demolished

A carnival parade passing the two shops owned by William Desborough

The page in the rent book for Mr. Chamberlain 14 Rectory Road

The page in the rent book for Mr. Everingham 40 High Street

In 1888 William Desborough married Ada Williamson and they had two sons, Cyril born in 1890 and Robert in 1894.  Cyril became a projectionist and photographer.  He was manager and projectionist at the Regal Cinema in Wellingborough, and also took photographs which were published as postcards.  One of the postcards published by C. W. Desborough was sent to William at 38 High Street.  It was sent from Deal in Kent and is signed E.P. or C.P.

The postcard published by C W Desborough

The reverse of the postcard

The message reads –

We have had a fine time today, everything is splendid.  Mr. Breen ??? accompanied us across London and the Son came to the boat but he promised to write you ?? if we get no opportunity.  We have to keep our own plates and cups and take care of them.  More news shortly. CP? EP?

 On the 1911 census Edward Breen is a visitor at the Desborough household, along with his wife Elizabeth and his sister Daisy so maybe the two families were friends.  Edward Breen was a telegraphist at the Post Office in Clerkenwell.

 

By 1927 William had moved to ‘Chesterfield’, 196 Avenue Road, on the corner with Newton Road, where he began a shop in the front hall of the bungalow.

William’s wife, Ada, died in 1936 and William in 1937.  They are buried together in Rushden Cemetery.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This