On the 3 April 1925 the Rushden Echo reported that the work of widening Rectory Road from George Street to Newton Road would be started shortly. During the week the road had been surveyed by the Surveyor, Mr. W. B. Madin, and his assistant, Mr. J. W. Lloyd. The cost of the work was estimated at £1,800, and the purchase price of the land required was £315. The Council were to apply to the Ministry of Health for a loan of £2,215 to carry out the work.
At the Council meeting, held on the 10 April, it was reported that they were in position to provide sites for about 30 houses in Irchester Road and that the Surveyor should apply to the Ministry of Health for provisional sanction for the work to go ahead.
Irchester Road showing the space after the houses where the Council Houses were built
Mr. Madin drew up plans for 48 houses, and reporting on his visit to the Ministry of Health, he said that under the 1924 Act they were not supposed to put more than 12 houses to the acre, so they had 17 too many. After considerable discussion the official and the architect agreed to allow Rushden Council to build 46 instead of 48.
It was also reported that the Clerk, Mr. G. S. Mason, had been in negotiation with the owners of land adjoining the Cemetery, and had received the offer of about 20 acres of land now occupied as allotments, for £1,800, and about five acres of a field at £85 per acre. The Council was to accept both offers, subject to the approval of the Ministry of Health.
Rushden Cemetery
There was also a lot of discussion regarding the open-air swimming bath, at the end of which it was decided to recommend the Council to take steps to provide a site with a view to the construction of an open-air swimming pool 120ft. long by 40ft. wide.
An aerial photo showing the swimming baths which were opened in 1929
Also during April 1925 the Windmill Club decided to postpone the building of their new premises in Glassbrook Road, in order to give the local builders more time to build the houses that were so badly needed in Rushden.
The Windmill Club which was eventually opened in 1928
The Rushden Mission Band held the first concert of the season in Spencer Park on Easter Sunday afternoon. Apparently the weather was ideal, but spring must have been late arriving in 1925 because most of the people attending the concert were wearing winter clothes.
The Mission Band c1930
On the Tuesday of the same week there was an accident at the bottom of Newton Road, near St. Mary’s Church. A motor cyclist, Mr. Hawkes (son of Mr. Fred Hawkes) collided with a Ford one-ton lorry owned by Mr. R. Marriott. Mr. Hawkes was thrown off his motorcycle and was pinned under the lorry. Fortunately, when he was picked up it was found that his only injury was a badly bruised leg. Mr. A. Ablett, a member of the Rushden St. John Ambulance Division, was on the scene and rendered first-aid. Mr. Hawkes’ pillion passenger was unhurt, and Mr. Alan Marriott, who was in charge of the lorry, was also unhurt.
A postcard looking towards St. Mary’s Church and showing the bottom of Newton Road where the accident happened
On the same day, in the evening, the Wellingborough Road Independent Wesleyan Reform Mission Band of Hope held a winding-up tea for about 100 children. The tea was provided out of the funds. Mr. H. A. Clipson “tuned in” the Children’s Corner from London for the children on his wireless set, and kept on until 7.30, when the children dispersed after spending a very happy time.
Mission Band of Hope crockery






