We have recently had donated to Rushden Museum two oil paintings of the Coach and Horses Inn which stood in High Street South next to the gates to Rushden Hall, on the main road from London. One is painted by Arthur Mantle and the other by Dr. C. R. Owen, who was Medical Officer of Health to the Rushden Urban District Council until 1899. The Inn was originally known as the Swan and Dolphin but by 1832 was known as The Swan. By 1841 John Buck held the licence and it was known as the Coach and Horses. John Buck was declared bankrupt in October 1841.
Oil painting by Dr. C. R. Owen.
Oil painting by A. Mantle
During the late 1800s meetings were often held at the Coach and Horses, including the Rushden Cricket Club and the Old Men’s Club, which was established in 1777.
The licence was held by several people over the years, including Harriett Elstow in 1871 and in 1879 by Thomas Hullatt. In 1881 Thomas Hulatt applied for his licence at the Coach and Horses to be transferred to the newly built Oakley Arms, in Wellingborough Road. When the application came before the magistrates Mr. Hulatt presented a petition signed by 11 tenants living nearby and four property owners.
“”We, the undersigned owners and occupiers of homes and land situated in and forming part of the Cross-roads Close, in the parish of Rushden, in the County of Northampton, hereby declare that we have no objection to the removal of the license for the sale of intoxicating liquors now held by Thomas Hulatt, of the Coach and Horses Inn, Rushden, from such inn to the new house lately erected at the corner of the Cross-roads Close aforesaid, and at the junction of the road leading from Rushden to Wellingborough with the road leading from Knuston to Higham Ferrers.”
The Oakley Arms, Wellingborough Road now converted into apartments
The application was opposed on the grounds that no necessity existed for a licensed house in the locality of the new premises, and that if the transfer were allowed it would be detrimental to the peace and best interests of the village at large.
The Bench decided that as the application was for the transfer of an existing licence from an old house to a new and more suitable structure, and not for a new licence, the application was granted.
The Coach and Horses Inn was part of the Rushden Hall Estate and after Mr. Hullatt left it was used as a lodging house for some members of the Hall staff.
Rushden Hall
In September 1913 Mr. Josiah Brown applied for it to be registered as a lodging house. The building was inspected by the Medical Officer and found to be in order and suitable for the purpose. The premises were inspected again a year later and found satisfactory for the class of persons catered for. The rooms had been measured for sleeping accommodation and printed cards posted in each bedroom stating the number of persons allowed to occupy each room. It sounds nice, doesn’t it?
When the Hall Estate was sold in 1929 the property was described as :-
A Picturesque Northamptonshire House with a Garage
No. 16 High Street South
The House is built of stone with a thatched roof, and contains on the GROUND FLOOR:-
SITTING ROOM, PARLOUR with ingle nook, KITCHEN, fitted with sink, OFFICE, back SITTING ROOM, Washhouse and Coals. On the First Floor are 5 BEDROOMS, BATHROOM fitted with w.c. Good Cellars.
The Garage is built of stone with asphalt roof and double doors, and contains an inspection pit. There is also an open lean-to Garage and a yard.
The premises occupy an excellent position on the main street between Leicester and London. Now let on a quarterly tenancy to Mr. A. Okins at a net rent of £40 per annum.
The Sale Catalogue
Description of the property also showing 22 High Street South which still remains and is Rushden’s only thatched building
22 High Street South, Rushden’s only thatched building
The auction was held at the Queen Victoria Hotel on Friday 15th December 1929
The Coach and Horses building was demolished in the early 1930s and eventually replaced with a ladies’ hairdressers and a garage and car showroom. A block of flats now occupies the site.
The ladies’ hairdresser’s, garage, and showroom








