At the Council Meeting at the beginning of October 1924 the Housing Committee reported that tenants had been selected for the 20 houses which would soon be ready for occupation.  These houses were on the Newton Road estate.  The contract for these houses was originally awarded to Messrs. Brown & Co., but in March 1924 it was reported that no progress was being made with the work and it was decided that the Council would immediately take possession of the buildings, plant, and materials on site.  The Clerk was instructed to put up notices that the Council were in possession and that anyone damaging the buildings or removing any of the plant etc. would be prosecuted.

Mr. Arthur Sanders was requested to submit an estimate for completing the houses, and if considered satisfactory the Clerk and the Chairman of the Council, Mr. C. Bates, J.P., were authorised to accept it.

At a previous meeting of the Housing Committee, it was recommended that the 20 houses be rented at 9s. 9d. where without bay windows and 10s. with bay windows.

Some of the council houses on Newton Road

Also at the Council Meeting it was decided to hold a ‘Rat Week’ in November and to put adverts in the local paper offering 3d. a tail brought in that week.

Complaints had been received about the smells coming from the fried fish shops in the town, some apparently worse than others.  There were also complaints about the papers from the fish and chips being scattered on the streets.  It was thought the Council should take proceedings to stop the practice.  The suggestion of providing wire baskets for the rubbish had previously been discussed.  Nothing changes much, does it?

Bates Fish and Chip shop c1925 next to the Railway Inn which can just be seen on the right of the picture

Another nuisance discussed at the same meeting was caused by cows on the pavements.  Not a problem we have today.  The worst problem seemed to be in Victoria Road, both sides of the street being ‘in a nasty state.’  Mr. Corby pointed out that cows liked walking on nice clean pavements, and if a man walked on the pavement to keep them off, the cows would go to the other side of the road.  It was decided that it was the responsibility of the owner of the cows.  Marriott’s Farm was in that area, maybe the cows came from there.

Marriott’s Farm house is on the right of the picture

The Farm House from the other side

Property sold by auction at the Coffee Tavern, Rushden, in October 1924 included Wentworth Cottage, in Moor Road described as a freehold villa with large garden and long frontage.  It had an entrance hall, dining and drawing rooms, kitchen, scullery, pantry, four bedrooms, and a bathroom.  It eventually sold to Mr. Whipple, garage proprietor, for £1,075 and was ‘generally considered a fine bargain.’

The Coffee Tavern

Wentworth Cottage

Mr. Whipple’s engineering business was in Sartoris Road

Three freehold dwelling-houses in Wentworth Road, producing a gross rental of £61 2s per annum, went to Mr. Smart, butcher, Rushden, for £625.  Three similar dwelling-houses in Wentworth Road, producing the same rental, went to Mr. Samuel Skinner, shoe manufacturer, for £610.

 

In 1924 Mr. Smart’s shop was at 124 High Street which would have been in the row of shops on the left of the picture, opposite the Railway Inn and Bates Fish and Chip shop

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This