Included in a large collection of Rushden material recently bequeathed to us was a folder of information on the post office. According to that information the first post office in Rushen was c1860 in High Street on the corner of what was known as Post Office Yard, roughly on the site where Boots Chemist stands now. It was run by William Packwood who was also the town clerk. By 1870 these cottages had been demolished.

Post Office Yard – drawn by Clive Wood

When William Packwood retired in 1872 the Post Office was taken over by Charles Hewitt at 35 High Street. He traded as a stationer and printer and published some early post cards of Rushden. The photo on the right was taken at the rear of 35 High Street in 1890.

Rushden was a sub-office, the main office being at Higham Ferrers, and some receipts in the folder show money being taken from Rushden to Higham Ferrers.

Charles Hewitt in the centre of the picture

Receipts for money taken to Higham Ferrers

Higham Ferrers post office on the left of the picture

At this time three of the Rushden postmen were Jonathan Seckington, Herbert Tomlin and Cornelius West. Jonathan Seckington started work as a postman in 1873 and in an interview with the Rushen Echo he states that when he started the post-office was in the premises ‘now (1907) occupied by Mr. Tomlinson, tailor’. This was number 45 High Street which is next to the bank. I have found no other reference to this. Jonathan Seckington retired in 1907 and received a Long Service Medal from the Post Office. He died in 1924 aged 74. Herbert Tomlin lived in Victoria Road and died in 1929 aged 60. Cornelius West was also the Town Crier and Bill Poster. He died in 1934 aged 85.

Jonathan Seckington with his Long Service medal

The Long Service Medal

Herbert Tomlin c1890

The Union Bank with the shop next door which, according to Jonathan Seckington, housed the post office.

Postmen outside the Higham Ferrers post office

The reverse of the card

Letters were carried from Higham Ferrers to Rushden by a ‘Letter Carrier.’ The form shows the time the postman left the Rushden office and the time he had finished the delivery. One of these forms is signed by Cornelius West.

Reverse of the form, signed by Cornelius West

It wasn’t until 1902 that plans were passed to build a new General Post Office in Rushden High Street on the corner of College Street. Previous to that Rushden had been known as an R.S.O. (Railway sub-office). The land formerly belonged to John Cave the boot and shoe manufacturer and was part of the land known as “The Cottage Estate.” When the new office opened Mr. Sidney Field was the post master, working with quite a large staff.

 

The Post Office and London City Bank 1904

Rushden postmen 1907

Notes with the photo – This special postmen’s photo was taken with Jonathan Seckington proudly wearing his Imperial Service Medal after serving Rushden & Higham Ferrers for 34 years 3 months, sitting next to Post Master Sidney Field. Then postmen P. Baker, Reginald Hall, H. Watson, L. Howe, H. Tomlin. Note the 2 Telegram boys. Could be Henry Swan, Frank Egars.

In 1939 another post office was built in College Street with a sorting office at the rear, and the old premises were taken over by the Midland Bank, now in 2023 HSBC and the only bank we have left in the town.

The post office in College Street built in 1939

Inside the post office on the last day 5 February 1992

The College Street post office closed in February 1992 and moved into part of Budgen’s supermarket which later became Wilkinsons.

It is now housed in Cherry’s Pharmacy in High Street.

 

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This