Over the years there have been a lot of chemists in Rushden and we have several artefacts in Rushden Museum relating to them.
One of the first ‘chemists and druggists’ was Charles Smith, who was at 29 High Street. Charles was born at Higham Ferrers in 1864, the son of John and Eliza Smith. By the time he was 17 he was working as a Dispenser to Dr. Crew, also of Higham Ferrers. Charles Smith is recorded in the 1890 Trade Directory, but by 1919 he had sold the business to Boots Cash Chemist, and he occupied the upstairs part of the premises as Smith and Cottingham, opticians, where they traded until the start of WWII. Charles Smith died in October 1947, leaving a widow and two sons. Boots still remain at that address.
.
Dr. Crew
Charles Smith’s shop is on the left of the picture
A pot of cream with Charles Smith, Chemist, Rushden on the lid
Case with the Smith & Cottingham name
Glasses in a Smith & Cottingham case
A medicine bottle marked Boots the Chemists
The present Boots shop
The shop on the corner of Church Street, 9-11 High Street, which is now Orlebar Estate Agents, seems to have changed hands a number of times. The 1898 Trade Directory lists Harry Munkman Hames as a chemist and china and glass dealer – a strange combination. By 1901 it was Matthew Griffith and by c1912 William Piling Orrell was the chemist. He remained there until 1924, when there was also Orrell and Allen, dentists, at No. 9. George Edward Fleeman took over the premises in 1928. He was born in West Bridgeford, Nottingham in July 1895. He remained at that shop until he retired in 1964. The premises were then bought by Peter Crisp and became part of his business. Peter Crisp closed down in 2009.
An advert from the Rushden Echo
The shop when William Orrell was the chemist
A bottle of Rose Water with the Fleeman label
No. 92 High Street was the home of Dr. Edward Freeman, a physician and surgeon who was born in Ireland. By 1911 he was living at 52 Victoria Road, Rushden and the premises in High Street were occupied by Charles Alfred Hedley, chemist. Charles Hedley was born in 1859 in Durham and by 1881 he was a medical student, living with his grandmother in Westoe, South Shields. He came to Rushden c1906 and traded at 92 High Street until he died in 1936. The business continued to trade after his death, with one of his daughters working in the shop.
These premises later became the Co-op chemist.
Charles Hedley’s house and shop is on the right of the picture
The Co-op Chemist
A perfume bottle with a Charles Hedley label on the bottom
A bottle of Liquid Paraffin from the Co-op Chemist
By 1928 two more chemists were recorded in Rushden. Frank Purslow at 147 Wellingborough Road, and William Wright at 100 High Street. Frank Purslow was born in Glassbrook Road, Rushden in 1896. At the age of 15 he was a chemist assistant and in 1928 opened the shop in Wellingborough Road. By 1936 the shop was occupied by R Scott Wood who was also an optician.
This shop later became a Co-op chemist.
During WWI the Street Shrine for Wellingborough Road was fixed to this shop, the marks of which can still be seen on the wall on the left hand side of the premises.
William Wright traded at 100 High Street from 1920 to 1940. The shop eventually became a Co-op Pharmacy until they moved along the High Street to No. 92.
A bottle of Finest Eucalyptus Oil with the R. Scott Wood label
A pill box with the R. Scott Wood label
A pill box with a William Wright label
100 High Street on the right of the picture

















