We are still working hard on the project to reorganise the storeroom at Rushden Museum and during the session on 29 November 2018 one of the items checked and repacked was a bottle of Rose Water marked with the name G. E. V. Fleeman, M.P.S., 9 & 11 High Street, Rushden. This shop, on the corner of Church Street, now Orlebar Estate Agents, seems to have changed hands a number of times although for most of the time is was a chemist shop. The 1898 Trade Directory lists Harry Munkman Hames as a chemist and china and glass dealer – a strange combination. By 1901 it was Matthew Griffith and in 1910 William Piling Orrell was the chemist. The 1924 Directory also lists Orrell and Allen, dentists, at No. 9. George Edward Fleeman, who was born in Nottingham in 1895, took over the business in 1928 and he remained there until he retired in 1964. The premises were then bought by Peter Crisp and became part of his business until it closed in 2009. Following that it was briefly a coffee shop and is now the estate agents.
An advert from the Rushden Echo dated 8 February 1901
The bottle of Rose Water
Another bottle marked Fleeman, Chemist, Rushden, from the Museum collection
A painting of the shop during the time of William Orrell