When Albert Victor Wanklyn came to Rushden in about 1910 he took over the shop of Thomas Tinkler, jeweller and watchmaker, at 69 High Street.  Thomas Tinkler had been trading there since 1908, but previous to that the premises had been a hotel and restaurant run by William Walker in 1898, and by William Parr in 1901.  In 1911 Albert Victor’s home was 3a Bedford Road, Rushden, but on the night of the census only his wife and son were at home.

69 High Street, Rushden

69 High Street, Rushden in 2018

By 1928 Albert’s son, Stanley Wanklyn, had taken over the business and had moved to the other side of the road to number 54.  This shop is in what was known as Lion Terrace.  The row of houses and shops was built in the 1870s by William Saunders, a Rushden bookmaker, supposedly with winnings from a horse named The Lion, hence the name.  Unfortunately William did not hold on to his money for long because in 1877 the houses and shops were up for sale. 

Northampton Mercury Saturday January 20th 1877

Rushden Northamptonshire

Five Newly and Substantially erected Dwelling Houses
With Draper’s shop, workshops and Outbuildings,

Most pleasantly situated at Rushden and known as “Lion Terrace”

To be sold by auction, by Messrs. Pendered & Son

At the Wheat Sheaf Inn, Rushden on Thursday, the 25th day of January 1877 at six o’clock in the evening, subject to such conditions as will be then produced and in the following or such lots as may be determined upon:-

Lot 1 All those three copyhold Messuages or Tenements, situated in Lion Terrace, Rushden aforesaid, together with workshops, barns, gardens and appurtenances thereto belonging in the occupations of Messrs. Wm. Brown, Wm. Sergeant and Ebenezer Knight, at a moderate rental amounting to £35 per annum

Lot 2 All those TWO copyhold MESSUAGES of Tenements, situated in Lion Terrace, Rushden, aforesaid, adjoining Lot 1 together with the workshops, barns, gardens and appurtenances thereto belonging in the occupations of Wm. Sanders (the proprietor) and Mr. Thomas Percival.

There is a back way to each lot. The Copyhold of the Manor of Rushden being fine certain, is nearly equal to Freehold.

To view apply on the Premises; and for further particulars to the Auctioneers, Wellingborough; or to W. Hirst Simpson, Solicitor Higham Ferrers.

A postcard showing Lion Terrace, High Street, Rushden

Stanley Wanklyn lived in Higham Road with his wife and son, Gordon, and carried on the business at 54 High Street until he died suddenly in December 1948, aged 58.  At Rushden Museum we have a wall clock bearing the name Wanklyn, and a roll of tape used for tying parcels.

Stanley’s son, Gordon, attended Wellingborough School and on leaving school he trained as an optician.  Sadly, Gordon was killed in action in 1942, while serving on H.M.S. Hecla as an Ordnance Artificer.

The clock on display at Rushden Museum

Tape bearing the Wanklyn name

A Wanklyn advert from the Rushden Echo & Argus dated 9 March 1945

The jeweller’s shop, 54 High Street, was taken over in 1952 by P. W. House.  The business is still going, run by Percy House’s son, Adrian.   

Advert from the Rushden Echo and Argus December 1952

54 High Street, Rushden 2018

Lion Terrace 2018

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This