Amongst some items recently donated to Rushden Museum were two plates and a saucer marked ‘Independent Wesleyan Mission, Rushden.’

Two plates and a saucer marked ‘Independent Wesleyan Mission’

The Mission Chapel was opened on the 4 July 1901, the first service being preached by the Rev. J. G. Greenhough, M.A., of Leicester, the president of the National Federation of Evangelical Free Churches. The contract price was £2,272, the architect was Mr. Wills of Derby, and the builder Mr. Henson of Wellingborough. The site cost £377, heating £100, the seating £60 and the fence round the property £30.

The first service was well attended, with representatives of most of the churches in the town and neighbourhood attending. Prior to the service the Mission Band played in the streets. Following the service about 100 people attended a tea in the Queen Street school room, and in the evening another service was held presided over by Alderman T. Sanders, of Higham Ferrers.

Alderman Thomas Sanders

In our collection we already have two cups, a saucer and a jug marked Rushden Mission Hall Band of Hope, and a cup marked Rushden Mission Cricket Club.

Rushden Mission Hall Band of Hope

Rushden Mission Cricket Club

A postcard of the Rushden Mission Cricket Club 1912

We also have a mug picturing the Rushden Mission Band. The band was formed in 1898, at first named the Rushden Wesleyan Reform Band, and once the Mission was opened in Wellingborough Road in 1901 it became their home.

Rushden Mission Band

Rushden Wesleyan Reform Band 1911

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This